DEAD MAN’S HAND, my new anthology of all-original weird western fiction, is now on sale! You can learn more on the DEAD MAN’S HAND website, including where you can buy the book.
The book’s website also features interviews with most of the authors, plus some free fiction from the book, and you can also read (or listen to) “Second Hand” by Rajan Khanna in the May issue of Lightspeed.
From a kill-or-be-killed gunfight with a vampire to an encounter in a steampunk bordello, the weird western is a dark, gritty tale where the protagonist might be playing poker with a sorcerous deck of cards, or facing an alien on the streets of a dusty frontier town.
Here are twenty-three original tales—stories of the Old West infused with elements of the fantastic—produced specifically for this volume by many of today’s finest writers. Included are Orson Scott Card’s first “Alvin Maker” story in a decade, and an original adventure by Fred Van Lente, writer of Cowboys & Aliens.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Introduction—John Joseph Adams
- The Red-Headed Dead—Joe R. Lansdale
- The Old Slow Man and His Gold Gun From Space—Ben H. Winters
- Hellfire on the High Frontier—David Farland
- The Hell-Bound Stagecoach—Mike Resnick
- Stingers and Strangers—Seanan McGuire
- Bookkeeper, Narrator, Gunslinger—Charles Yu
- Holy Jingle—Alan Dean Foster
- The Man With No Heart—Beth Revis
- Wrecking Party—Alastair Reynolds
- Hell from the East—Hugh Howey
- Second Hand—Rajan Khanna
- Alvin and the Apple Tree—Orson Scott Card
- Madam Damnable’s Sewing Circle—Elizabeth Bear
- Strong Medicine—Tad Williams
- Red Dreams—Jonathan Maberry
- Bamboolzed—Kelley Armstrong
- Sundown—Tobias S. Buckell
- La Madre Del Oro—Jeffrey Ford
- What I Assume You Shall Assume—Ken Liu
- The Devil’s Jack—Laura Anne Gilman
- The Golden Age—Walter Jon Williams
- Neversleeps—Fred Van Lente
- Dead Man’s Hand—Christie Yant