ARMORED: Final Cover and Table of Contents
PART HUMAN. PART MACHINE. ALL SOLDIER.
Decades ago, Starship Troopers captivated readers with its vision of a future war in which power armored soldiers battled giant insects on hostile alien planets. Today, with the success of Iron Man, Halo, and Mechwarrior—and with real robotic exoskeletons just around the corner—the idea of super-powered combat armor and giant mecha has never been more exciting and relevant.
Now acclaimed editor John Joseph Adams brings you the first-ever original anthology of power armor fiction. Join leading SF authors Jack Campbell, Brandon Sanderson, Tanya Huff, Daniel H. Wilson, Alastair Reynolds, Carrie Vaughn, and others as they explore the limits of what a soldier of the future might become—with the aid of the right equipment.
Imagine power armored warriors battling at the bottom of the sea, or on nightmarish alien worlds, or in the darkest depths of space. Imagine armor that’s as smart as you are, armor that might keep on fighting even after you’re no longer willing … or able.
The possibilities are endless, but some facts remain constant: The soldier of the future will be fast. The soldier of the future will be deadly. The soldier of the future will be ARMORED.
For more, see this article on io9 about the anthology.
An anthology to be published by Baen Books in April 2012. Now available for pre-order.
Table of Contents
- Foreword— Orson Scott Card
- Introduction— John Joseph Adams
- The Johnson Maneuver — Ian Douglas
- Hel’s Half-Acre — Jack Campbell
- Jungle Walkers — David Klecha & Tobias S. Buckell
- The Last Run of the Coppelia — Genevieve Valentine
- Death Reported of Last Surviving Veteran of Great War — Dan Abnett
- The Cat’s Pajamas — Jack McDevitt
- Find Heaven and Hell in the Smallest Things — Simon R. Green
- Power Armor: A Love Story — David Barr Kirtley
- The Last Days of the Kelly Gang — David D. Levine
- Field Test — Michael A. Stackpole
- Trauma Pod — Alastair Reynolds
- Contained Vacuum — David Sherman
- You Do What You Do — Tanya Huff
- Nomad — Karin Lowachee
- Human Error — John Jackson Miller
- Transfer of Ownership — Christie Yant
- Heuristic Algorithm and Reasoning Response Engine — Ethan Skarstedt & Brandon Sanderson
- Don Quixote — Carrie Vaughn
- The Poacher — Wendy N. Wagner & Jak Wagner
- The Green — Lauren Beukes
- Sticks and Stones — Robert Buettner
- Helmet — Daniel H. Wilson
- The N-Body Solution — Sean Williams