REVIEW: “The authors … tackle the Weird West premise with impressive seriousness in a collection that echoes WESTWORLD’s chilly introspection.” —THE TELEGRAPH, on DEAD MAN’S HAND
THE TELEGRAPH reviews my anthology DEAD MAN’S HAND in the context of providing recommendations for folks who love the HBO show WESTWORLD: “The authors, many prominent within science fiction, tackle the Weird West premise with impressive seriousness in a collection that echoes Westworld’s chilly introspection.” [review]
Christie Yant’s excellent story from DEAD MAN’S HAND, which happens to also be titled “Dead Man’s Hand,” is now available to read for free online. [free read]
StarShipsSofa, the Hugo Award-winning audio magazine, has just published their latest issue, and it contains a reprint of Ben H. Winters’s story from Dead Man’s Hand, “The Old Slow Man and His Gold Gun From Space.” The audio they used is the same audio Brilliance Audio produced for the DMH audiobook, so it’s a great way to sample that edition of the anthology. [link]
The Huffington Post just ran a little feature that the contributors to DMH and I put together for them, a list of some of our favorite weird westerns. The list of things we discuss follows. Clickthrough to the article to read our commentaries.
- FICTION: Territory by Emma Bull (Tor Books) –Elizabeth Bear
- FILM: Back to the Future Part III, directed by Robert Zemeckis (Universal) –Ken Liu
- COMICS: Jonah Hex, created by John Albano & Tony DeZuniga (DC Comics) –Tad Williams
- FICTION: The Dark Tower by Stephen King (Penguin Books/Plume) –Tobias S. Buckell
- TV: The Wild Wild West, created by Michael Garrison (CBS Productions) –Walter Jon Williams
- FICTION: The Work of Joe R. Lansdale (various publishers) –Rajan Khanna
- VIDEO GAME: Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games) –Kelley Armstrong
- FICTION: Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente (Subterranean Press) –Seanan McGuire
- FILM: The Burrowers, directed by J.T. Petty (Blue Star Pictures) –Laura Anne Gilman
- FICTION: The Work of Robert E. Howard (various publishers) –Joe R. Lansdale
- COMICS: Secret of San Saba, by Jack “Jaxon” Jackson (Kitchen Sink Press) –Fred Van Lente
You can now read the full text of Rajan Khanna’s story, “Second Hand,” over in Lightspeed Magazine. Enjoy!
P.S. You can also check out his story set in the same milieu, “Card Sharp.”
The US edition of DEAD MAN’S HAND, from Titan Books, is now on sale! Huzzah!
Check out the BUY THE BOOK page to find out where you can find the book (short answer: anywhere books are sold). If you’re in the UK, you’ll have to wait until May 30. Visit the same link to find out where you can acquire it. It’s available in Trade Paperback, Ebook, and Audiobook format.
If you’re a member of the media, and you’d like to cover the anthology in some fashion, please see the CONTACT/REVIEW COPIES page for more information.
You’ve seen the front cover, but here’s the full cover flat in all its glory. We think it looks pretty great, and having just seen physical copies for the first time we can attest that it looks pretty amazing wrapped around the book too.
Welcome to the website for Dead Man’s Hand, edited by John Joseph Adams. We are pleased to present:
- A tantalizing TABLE OF CONTENTS!
- Compelling FREE READS!
- Enticing AUTHOR INTERVIEWS!
- Exciting NEWS & UPDATES!
Browse around and see all our offerings. And if you like what you see, please BUY THE BOOK!