“The Bad Hour” by Christopher Golden, from What the #@&% is That?, made the final ballot of the Bram Stoker Awards, so big congrats to Christopher for that honor. You can find the full slate of what made the final ballot at horror.org. The Stoker Awards themselves will be presented at StokerCon 2017, which is being held in Long Beach, CA, April 27-30.
Locus Magazine released their annual recommended reading list, and we’re pleased to report that What the #@&% is That? has two stories on the list:
- “Ghost Pressure” Gemma Files (What the #@&% Is That?)
- “Little Widow” Maria Dahvana Headley (What the #@&% Is That?)
Congratulations to our authors, and to everyone who made the list!
The release of the Recommended Reading List also means that voting for the Locus Awards will be open soon. (The Locus website notes it will be open “the first week of February.”) Anyone is eligible to vote. Visit locusmag.com to cast a ballot or learn more. Voting closes April 15, 2017.
Two stories from What the #@&% is That?—“Only Unclench Your Hand” by Isabel Yap and “The Bad Hour” by Christopher Golden—made the Preliminary Stoker Awards ballot for best Short Fiction. A huge congrats to them both for the honor! You can find the full slate of what made the preliminary ballot at horror.org. The final ballot will be announced February 23, and the the Stoker Awards themselves will be presented at StokerCon 2017, which is being held in Long Beach, CA, April 27-30.
To celebrate this fact, we’ve made both of the stories available for free to read online. Visit our FREE READS page to see all of the material from the anthology we have available for free to read online.
Editor Paula Guran has selected the table of contents for The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror 2017, and it includes “Whose Drowned Face Sleeps” from WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT? [TOC]
Me and my co-editor Douglas Cohen appeared in The Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy to talk about our new anthology, WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, and to discuss other “nameless horrors.” [link]
NEWS: Editors John Joseph Adams & Douglas Cohen to Appear on HOUR OF THE WOLF Radio Show @ 1:30am ET Tonight
WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT? editors John Joseph Adams and Douglas Cohen will be appearing on the HOUR OF THE WOLF radio show at 1:30am ET tonight to talk about the anthology. It will air on WBAI (95.5 FM) in New York City, or you can stream it live via wbai.org.
WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT? is now available!
Fear of the unknown—it is the essence of the best horror stories, the need to know what monstrous vision you’re beholding and the underlying terror that you just might find out. Now, twenty authors have gathered to ask—and maybe answer—a question worthy of almost any horror tale: “What the #@&% is that?” Join these masters of suspense as they take you to where the shadows grow long, and that which lurks at the corner of your vision is all too real.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction by Douglas Cohen
- MOBILITY by Laird Barron
- FOSSIL HEART by Amanda Downum
- THOSE GADDAM COOKIES by Scott Sigler
- THE SOUND OF HER LAUGHTER by Simon R. Green
- DOWN IN THE DEEP AND THE DARK by Desirina Boskovich
- ONLY UNCLENCH YOUR HAND by Isabel Yap
- LITTLE WIDOW by Maria Dahvana Headley
- THE BAD HOUR by Christopher Golden
- WHAT IS LOST, WHAT IS GIVEN AWAY by John Langan
- NOW AND FOREVER by D. Thomas Minton
- #CONNOLLYHOUSE #WESHOULDNTBEHERE by Seanan McGuire
- THE HOUSE THAT LOVE BUILT by Grady Hendrix
- WE ALL MAKE SACRIFICES by Jonathan Maberry
- GHOST PRESSURE by Gemma Files
- THE DAUGHTER OUT OF DARKNESS by Nancy Holder
- FRAMING MORTENSEN by Adam-Troy Castro
- THE CATCH by Terence Taylor
- HUNTERS IN THE WOOD by Tim Pratt
- WHOSE DROWNED FACE SLEEPS by An Owomoyela & Rachel Swirsky
- CASTLEWEEP by Alan Dean Foster
- Cover Art by Mike Mignola
- Cover Design by Michael McCartney
BUY THE BOOK
Learn more at johnjosephadams.com/wtf.
Welcome to the website for WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, edited by John Joseph Adams & Douglas Cohen (November 1, 2016, Saga Press). We are pleased to present:
Browse around and see all our offerings. And if you like what you see, please BUY THE BOOK!