Tag: Cosmic Powers
“One kickass good anthology […] Every one of these stories is, as advertised, far-future, galaxy-spanning, and involves people confronting huge problems caused by technology, in some cases so advanced as to be, as Arthur C. Clarke said, “indistinguishable from magic.” […] Highly recommended.” –File 770, on COSMIC POWERS [review]
“Astonishingly good […] Rich in great stories.” —Rocket Stack Rank, on COSMIC POWERS [review]
The reviewer singled out “Zen and the Art of Starship Maintenance” by Tobias S. Buckell as the best story in the book, giving it 5/5 stars. They also highly recommended the stories by Charlie Jane Anders, Adam-Troy Castro, Seanan McGuire, and Yoon Ha Lee. Each story gets a minireview at the link.
“The newest short story collection edited by Adams resonates with a buoyancy that can often be lost in contemporary science fiction, reminding us that futuristic doesn’t always have to mean gritty. But don’t take that to mean that these stories lack depth or feeling. The authors deftly balance the adventure and sense of wonder with solid worldbuilding and characters who quickly become familiar friends by the time their tales end. This collection will prove to be great reading for fans of the space cowboy antics of Guardians of the Galaxy, Firefly and Cowboy Bebop.” —RT Book Reviews [review]
We’re doing a Goodreads giveaway for my new anthology COSMIC POWERS! Enter for a chance to win an advance review copy ahead of publication.
Over on B&N’s Sci-Fi and Fantasy blog, we recently announced one of my 2017 anthologies: Cosmic Powers: The Saga Anthology of Far-Away Galaxies. It will be published April 18, 2017 by Simon & Schuster’s Saga Press imprint.
COVER (art by Chris Foss)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- A Temporary Embarrassment in Spacetime—Charlie Jane Anders
- Zen and the Art of Starship Maintenance—Tobias S. Buckell
- The Deckhand, the Nova Blade, and the Thrice-Sung Texts—Becky Chambers
- The Sighted Watchmaker—Vylar Kaftan
- Infinite Love Engine—Joseph Allen Hill
- Unfamiliar Gods—Adam-Troy Castro, with Judi B. Castro
- Seven Wonders of a Once and Future World—Caroline M. Yoachim
- Our Specialty is Xenogeology—Alan Dean Foster
- Golden Ring—Karl Schroeder
- Tomorrow When We See the Sun—A. Merc Rustad
- Bring the Kids and Revisit the Past at the Traveling Retro Funfair!—Seanan McGuire
- The Dragon that Flew Out of the Sun—Aliette De Bodard
- Diamond and the World Breaker—Linda Nagata
- The Chameleon’s Gloves—Yoon Ha Lee
- The Universe, Sung in Stars—Kat Howard
- Wakening Ouroboros—Jack Campbell
- Warped Passages—Kameron Hurley
- The Frost Giant’s Data—Dan Abnett
A collection of original, epic science fiction stories by some of today’s best writers—for fans who want a little less science and a lot more action—and edited by two-time Hugo Award winner John Joseph Adams. Inspired by movies like The Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars, this anthology features brand-new stories from some of science fiction’s best authors including Dan Abnett, Jack Campbell, Linda Nagata, Seanan McGuire, Alan Dean Foster, Charlie Jane Anders, Kameron Hurley, and many others.
BUY THE BOOK
COSMIC POWERS is now available for pre-order.