Guidelines: Federations edited by John Joseph Adams
EDITED BY JOHN JOSEPH ADAMS
From Star Trek to Star Wars, from Dune to Foundation, science fiction has a rich history of exploring the idea of vast intergalactic societies, and the challenges facing those living in or trying to manage such societies. The stories in Federations will continue that tradition.
What are the social, religious, environmental, or technological implications of living in such a vast society? What happens when expansionist tendencies on a galactic scale come into conflict with the indigenous peoples of other planets, of other races? And what of the issue of communicating across such distances, or the problems caused by relativistic travel? These are just some of the questions and issues that the stories in Federations will take on.
Genres: Science Fiction only. Original fiction only, no reprints.
Payment: 5 cents per word ($250 max), plus a pro-rata share of the anthology’s earnings and 1 contributor copy.
Word limit: 5000 words. (Stories may exceed 5000 words, but $250 is the maximum payment per story, and stories 5000 words or less are strongly preferred.)
Rights: First world English rights, non-exclusive world anthology rights, and non-exclusive audio anthology rights. See my boilerplate author-anthologist contract, which spells out the rights in detail.
Reading Period: November 1-January 1, 2009
Response Time: Most rejections will be sent out quickly, but stories that I like may be held until January 31 before a final decision is made.
Publication date: May 2009
Publisher: Prime Books
Submission Instructions: Email your story in .doc Microsoft Word format (preferred) or .rtf rich-text format to John Joseph Adams at [anthology now closed]. Include the title of the story and your byline in the subject line of the email.
ABOUT THE EDITOR
John Joseph Adams is the editor of the anthologies Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse, Seeds of Change, and The Living Dead. He is also the assistant editor at The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and is the print news correspondent for SCI FI Wire (the news service of the SCI FI Channel). For more information, visit his website at www.johnjosephadams.com.
Table of Contents
- Mazer in Prison | Orson Scott Card (reprint)
- Carthago Delenda Est | Genevieve Valentine
- Life-Suspension | L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
- Terra-Exulta | S. L. Gilbow
- Aftermaths | Lois McMaster Bujold (reprint)
- Someone is Stealing the Great Throne Rooms of the Galaxy | Harry Turtledove (reprint)
- Prisons | Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason (reprint)
- Different Day | K. Tempest Bradford
- Twilight of the Gods | John C. Wright
- Warship | George R. R. Martin and George Guthridge (reprint)
- Swanwatch | Yoon Ha Lee
- Spirey and the Queen | Alastair Reynolds (reprint)
- Pardon Our Conquest | Alan Dean Foster
- Symbiont | Robert Silverberg (reprint)
- The Ship Who Returned | Anne McCaffrey (reprint)
- My She | Mary Rosenblum
- The Shoulders of Giants | Robert J. Sawyer (reprint)
- The Culture Archivist | Jeremiah Tolbert
- The Other Side of Jordan | Allen Steele
- Like They Always Been Free | Georgina Li
- Eskhara | Trent Hergenrader
- The One with the Interstellar Group Consciousnesses | James Alan Gardner
- Golubash or, Wine-War-Blood-Elegy | Catherynne M. Valente