Good news, post-apocalyptic fiction fans: And no, I don’t mean the new TV show, Revolution. Even better: I’m going to be doing a follow up volume to my critically-acclaimed anthology, Wastelands, which will be called, at least for now, Wastelands 2.
As I’ve done with most of my other anthologies, I’d like to solicit recommendations, so if you have any outstanding examples of post-apocalyptic fiction you’d like to point out to me, please feel free to let me know about them by entering them into my post-apocalyptic fiction database.
As I did with my previous sequel anthology, The Living Dead 2, for Wastelands 2, I will likely be focusing on very new material, primarily stories published since Wastelands (Vol. 1) was assembled. The first volume was published in January 2008, but since it was mostly edited the year before, basically I’ll primarily be looking for material published from 2007-Present.
Since this is an anthology, obviously I’m primarily interested in short fiction, but if you want to recommend novels or novel series, that is welcome too, as I may include a “for further reading” list in the anthology. Note, however, that there is an extensive list of novels in Wastelands (Vol. 1), so again this would primarily be of interest for material published 2007-Present.
If you are a writer and would like to recommend your own short fiction, that is quite welcome. If you’d like to send me your story for consideration, please use my online submission system. If you’re submitting your own story for consideration, there is no need to also enter it into the database (but there’s no harm done if you do).
ETA, to answer some questions that have come up:
- I’m looking for reprints only. If you have an original, submit it to Lightspeed, so of course I’ll see it there, and if I like it enough to buy for Lightspeed, maybe I’ll want to include it in the anthology too.
- It doesn’t matter where the story originally appeared (i.e., I’m not concerned about SFWA-qualifying markets or anything like that).
- Although my *focus* is 2007-Present, it’s totally fine to recommend and/or submit a story that was published before 2007. *Some* material from before 2007 will definitely be in the book.
- The deadline to submit your recommendations or reprints is January 1, 2013, though the sooner the better.
- If you’d like to submit your own story, please do not query. If in doubt whether it is suitable, please just send it in. Feel free to explain anything you need to in your cover letter, and let that serve as your query.
- If you’re not sure what qualifies as post-apocalyptic fiction, try reading my introduction to Wastelands (vol. 1) and/or my introduction to my dystopian anthology Brave New Worlds, both of which discuss the subject (the latter primarily in the context of explaining the difference between dystopian fiction and post-apocalyptic fiction).
- Payment is 1 cent per word, plus a pro-rata share of the anthology’s earnings.