Come join us October 4 @ 7:30pm at Kepler’s Books in Menlo Park, CA, for a Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2016 launch event, with me, guest editor Karen Joy Fowler, and contributors Charlie Jane Anders and Liz Ziemska, with moderator Daryl Gregory on hand to lead our discussion. [event details | Facebook invite]
“Whether conjuring a little magic or exploring technology’s impact, these impressive selections demonstrate that these works may be brief in length but long on complexity and voice. Sophisticated sf/fantasy readers will find here everything they enjoy about the genre, plus a few other surprising delights.” —Library Journal, on BASFF 2016 [review]
“If you’re looking for a read (or lots of reads, as the case may be) that’s equally fun, scary, and thoughtprovoking, then What the #@&% Is That? will be up your alley. With editors as experienced as John Joseph Adams and Douglas Cohen, I’d be surprised if most horror/sci-fi fans don’t enjoy it. The only rating I could possibly give the book is five [out of five] stars.” —Dread Central, on What the #@&% Is That? [review]
In my role as editor of John Joseph Adams Books for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, I just acquired two books by debut novelist Bryan Camp. Here’s the deal memo that just ran on Publishers Marketplace:
Bryan Camp’s THE CITY OF LOST FORTUNES, about a magician with a talent for finding lost things who is forced into playing a high stakes game with the gods of New Orleans for the heart and soul of the city, to John Joseph Adams Books, in a preempt, in a two-book deal, to be published Spring 2018, by Seth Fishman at The Gernert Company (NA).
Over on B&N’s Sci-Fi and Fantasy blog, we recently announced one of my 2017 anthologies: Cosmic Powers: The Saga Anthology of Far-Away Galaxies. It will be published April 18, 2017 by Simon & Schuster’s Saga Press imprint.
COVER (art by Chris Foss)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- A Temporary Embarrassment in Spacetime—Charlie Jane Anders
- Zen and the Art of Starship Maintenance—Tobias S. Buckell
- The Deckhand, the Nova Blade, and the Thrice-Sung Texts—Becky Chambers
- The Sighted Watchmaker—Vylar Kaftan
- Infinite Love Engine—Joseph Allen Hill
- Unfamiliar Gods—Adam-Troy Castro, with Judi B. Castro
- Seven Wonders of a Once and Future World—Caroline M. Yoachim
- Our Specialty is Xenogeology—Alan Dean Foster
- Golden Ring—Karl Schroeder
- Tomorrow When We See the Sun—A. Merc Rustad
- Bring the Kids and Revisit the Past at the Traveling Retro Funfair!—Seanan McGuire
- The Dragon that Flew Out of the Sun—Aliette De Bodard
- Diamond and the World Breaker—Linda Nagata
- The Chameleon’s Gloves—Yoon Ha Lee
- The Universe, Sung in Stars—Kat Howard
- Wakening Ouroboros—Jack Campbell
- Warped Passages—Kameron Hurley
- The Frost Giant’s Data—Dan Abnett
A collection of original, epic science fiction stories by some of today’s best writers—for fans who want a little less science and a lot more action—and edited by two-time Hugo Award winner John Joseph Adams. Inspired by movies like The Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars, this anthology features brand-new stories from some of science fiction’s best authors including Dan Abnett, Jack Campbell, Linda Nagata, Seanan McGuire, Alan Dean Foster, Charlie Jane Anders, Kameron Hurley, and many others.
BUY THE BOOK
COSMIC POWERS is now available for pre-order.